The staff of The DiG has come together to share our tried-and-true tailgate recipes… You can thank us later…
APRIL’S KICKOFF COCKTAIL
PERFECT FOR THOSE EARLY MORNING TAILGATES!
• Pinnacle® Whipped Vodka – 1 part
• Orange Juice – 2 parts
• Sprite – 1 splash (Substitute option – replace orange juice & sprite with 2 parts Orange Soda)
EMILY’S SWEET VIDALIA ONION DIP
• 1 Vidalia onion, anywhere from 10-12 ounces
• 1 scant cup mayonnaise
• 1 scant cup sour cream
• 1/2 cup shredded Grana Padano cheese (substitute good Parmesan or Romano)
• 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
• 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
• 3/4 tsp salt
• lots of fresh cracked black pepper to taste
• 4 dashes hot sauce
• 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
Preheat the oven to 375F. Mince the onion and put in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix well until everything is thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking. Spoon the mixture into an ovenproof casserole and bake for 25 minutes until browned and bubbly. While the dip is baking, slice a baguette and place the slices on a hot grill pan to toast them on both sides. Serve with the hot dip.
RACHEL’S KENTUCKY BOURBON BACON CHEX MIX®
• 1 bag (15 oz) Chex Mix® traditional snack mix
• 1 cup pecan halves
• 1/2 lb bacon (6 to 8 slices), crisply cooked and crumbled
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1/4 cup light corn syrup
• 2 tablespoons bourbon
• 3/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Heat oven to 300°F. Line two 15x10x1-inch pans with foil. Spray foil with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix snack mix, pecans and bacon. Set aside.
In 2-quart saucepan, heat brown sugar, butter and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly around edges. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Cool 2 minutes. Carefully stir in bourbon and chipotle chili powder. Pour over snack mixture; toss until evenly coated.
Spread snack mixture on pans. Bake 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, to caramelize mixture. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store covered in refrigerator.
BEBE’S HAM AND SWISS SLIDERS
• 1 package 12 Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
• 1 onion minced
• 1 stick butter
• 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
• 1/2 lb shaved ham
• 8 slices Swiss cheese
Melt butter in a small skillet and add the onions. Combine mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and poppy seeds into onions and butter. Simmer for several minutes until onions are translucent.
Slice rolls lengthwise as a group and place bottoms in an aluminum foil lined 13×9” pan.
Spread 3/4 of onion mixture on rolls bottoms, followed by ham and cheese slices. Top with the roll tops.
Spread the remaining onion mixture over the top. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.
Bake covered with foil for 20 minutes on 350 degrees.
ASHLEIGH’S CINNAMON PUMPKIN MUFFINS
• 1 can pumpkin
• 1 box spice cake mix
• 3-5 tablespoons milk
• 1 bag Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips
Combine pumpkin, cake mix, and milk. Fold in cinnamon chips. Bake at 350°F for approximately 15- 18 minutes. Makes about 30 mini muffins.
*NOTE: Do not make the cake mix as per instructions on the box. Only combine the cake mix with the pumpkin, milk and cinnamon chips and nothing else.
Cinnamon Chips are a seasonal ingredient and can be hard to find unless it’s October-December.