In Season- Southern Blueberry Cobbler

Jul 27, 2020 | Crave, Feature Articles | 0 comments

The cooler spring weather (which was a blessing if you ask us) gave a few summer crops a later start to their season (and a slightly smaller bounty), but if you find the right bush, you can “U-Pick” to your heart’s content!  Blueberry season typically runs mid-June until mid-August, depending on the variety of berries you pick. About 60 percent of blueberries in Georgia are of the rabbiteye variety; the remaining 40 percent are of the Southern highbush variety. Harvest for both varieties runs through July.

Visiting a U-Pick ‘Em blueberry farm is a GREAT social distancing activity as you can just yell “Get your own bush!” at anyone creeping in on your space.  We recommend DJ’s You Pick Blueberries, a locally run U-Pick farm in Lawrenceville, GA where berries are sold for just $20 a gallon! 

Once picked, purchased at farmers market or picked up at a grocery store (shhhhh we won’t tell), you’re now faced with a very tough decision: making something scrumptious with your little berry gems or just popping a handful of tart bliss in your mouth every time you open the fridge.  

Because it’s summer time, we suggest making a blueberry cobbler and pairing it with vanilla ice cream. This Southern Blueberry Cobbler has a buttery crust that’s worth every tiny calorie, and is full of vibrant blueberries, sugar and lemon zest to bring out their fresh flavor. It’s so good you’ll be finishing off the pan for breakfast…at least we did!

Ingredients

  • 12 tablespoons butter OR 1 ½ sticks, divided (4 T. and 8 T.) 
  • 1 ½  cups sugar plus more to sprinkle on top  (¼ c. and 1 ¼ c.) 
  • 3 cups blueberries
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
  • 1 ½ cups flour
  • 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 ½ cups whole milk 

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Place 4 tablespoons butter in 9 x 13 baking dish. Place in oven and let butter melt, watching carefully.
  • In a medium-size bowl, stir together blueberries, ¼ cup of sugar and lemon zest. Set aside.
    In a microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining 8 tablespoons of butter. (Let cool for several minutes before adding.)
  • In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, remaining 1 ¼ cup of sugar and salt. Whisk in melted butter and milk. Stir until smooth.
  • Remove baking dish from oven and pour batter into the pan.
  • Dollop blueberry mixture evenly over batter. Generously sprinkle with remaining sugar.
  • Bake until golden brown and edges are crisp (about 42-48 minutes).
  • Serve with vanilla ice cream, blueberry syrup or homemade whipped cream!