Did you know that the largest traditionally designed Hindu temple in the southeast is in Gwinnett? The BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir is located in Lilburn and is open to the public for free. The historic temple and place of worship has welcomed visitors since 2007 to learn and experience Hindu practices.
Hinduism is the world’s oldest living faith, dating back centuries. The Hindu community in metro Atlanta previously worshiped in a renovated ice rink beginning in 1988. As the Indian-American population in Gwinnett grew, it became clear that it was time to create a space to worship and practice Hindu rituals big enough to accommodate everyone. The Mandir is a must-see for people who love to experience other cultures. You will see hand-carved stone pieces from India when you visit the temple. Over 34,000 were assembled in India, broken down and reassembled in Lilburn. The detailed carvings and construction took only 17 months to complete and are absolutely breathtaking.
Things to Know when visiting
The BAPS Shri has proudly welcomed guests since its opening 15 years ago. Out of respect for the Hindu culture, there are a few things to remember when planning your visit.
- There is a Dress Code! All clothing must cover shoulders and knees (wraps are provided). Please leave all personal belongings/backpacks inside your vehicle.
- The Shayona Sweets and Snacks Center has authentic and traditional Indian food. The menu is vegetarian, and you have the option to sit and enjoy your meal or take it to go.
- Visiting hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., but the best time to plan your visit is during the Abhishek ritual. This is a sacred experience that consists of personal prayers and inner wishes. Most wish for good health, happiness and success. You can take part in the ritual during the following times: 9:00 a.m. to 10:15 a.m., 11:35 a.m. to
- 12:00 p.m. and 4:15 p.m. to 6:00 p.m..
- Visitors are welcome to take pictures of the beautiful exterior architecture of the Mandir, but out of respect for the temple, photography and video are not allowed inside.