Masters Week in Georgia is a tradition unlike any other. If you are not lucky enough to grab a green jacket ticket, travel down I-20 to the AUG and walk around the lush grounds of Augusta National, you can still drink like you are there. Here are three cocktail recipes to put you in the spectator mood or give you a little swing oil as you hit the links pretending to be one of the pros heading towards Amen Corner.
In honor of the 13th Hole at Augusta National Golf Club, this drink shares the name of the par 5 that is lined with the native blooms on the fairway.
FUN FACT: The azaleas are so essential to the beauty of the course for Masters Week that the groundskeepers ensure their blooms are timely with ice or heat, depending on the Georgia spring weather.
1 ½ oz. gin
2 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. lemon juice
1 tsp. grenadine
1. Combine the gin, pineapple juice, lemon juice and grenadine in a cocktail shaker with ice.
2. Strain the contents of the shaker into an icefilled glass.
3. Garnish with a lemon wedge and serve.
JOHN DALY COCKTAIL (SPIKED ARNOLD PALMER)
This cocktail is named after the lively American golfer of the 80s. The John Daly is an alcoholic version of the iconic golfer Arnold Palmer’s favorite drink, ½ lemonade and ½ sweet tea.
1 ½ oz. vodka
2 oz. lemonade
2 oz. sweet tea
1. Fill a large highball glass with ice and add vodka, tea and lemonade. Gently stir.
2. Garnish with a lemon slice, strawberry and/or mint stem.
The 12th Stand is another beverage named after a location at Augusta National. The story goes that a concession stand worker created the concoction to be “as pretty as the Masters.” The drink is only available on the course at the 12th Stand concession.
20 oz. blue Powerade
16 oz. pink lemonade
8 oz. Sprite
8 oz. light liquor (rum or vodka)
1. Add a handful of ice to four glasses and fill to onethird full with pink lemonade.
2. Add two ounces of sprite to each glass, then top with two ounces of liquor.
3. Finally, grab a spoon, flip it upside down and pour the Powerade over the spoon. (This will allow the Powerade to sit on top of the lemonade/sprite combination.) Fill the glass until full.
4. Garnish with a slice of lemon, serve and enjoy!